With the RSS Widget you can display content from an RSS feed.
To use the RSS Widget you need to add the widget to a Presentation by adding a Placeholder Item, then configure the settings for the RSS feed you want to use including formatting the content for how you want it to look when displayed.
The RSS Feed Widget has a limitation of 120 characters per story. Stories with over 120 characters will be truncated.
Add the RSS Widget to a Presentation
- Open the Presentation you want to use.
- Click Add Placeholder to add a Placeholder item.
- Click More.
- In the Search bar on the Add Widget dialog, type RSS Widget, then press Enter.
- Click on the RSS Widget to open the RSS Settings dialog.
Configure the RSS Settings (in the RSS Settings dialog)
- In the URL field, type or paste the URL for the RSS feed you want to use.
- Specify the amount of RSS content to show:
- In the Items to Show field, type the number of items you want to show on the Display at one time. The default is 1 (i.e., one item from the feed will display at a time).
- In the Max Item in Queue field, specify the maximum number of items that should be stored in the queue to be shown. The default is 5 (i.e., the 5 most recent stories from the RSS feed will be stored in the queue and shown through the RSS Widget). All RSS feeds have a certain number of stories in the feed. This number can change from day to day and varies, e.g., it might be 2, or 20, or really any number. The Max Item in Queue field lets you control how many of the available stories appear through this widget.
- In the Transition field, you can specify a style for the content to transition onto the Display. The default is none (i.e., the content will just show up on the Display). Transition options available are Fade, Scroll, Page. Scroll and Page are good options for showing many RSS Items, e.g., if you set Items to Show to a higher number than the default of 1 and you need a way for them to show on the Display.
- In the Show Each Item for field, you can specify how long the RSS items stay on the Display, e.g., the default is 10 seconds, therefore one item will display for 10 seconds then transition to the next item in the RSS feed or the next Placeholder item in the Presentation.
- Show Title: The default is checked (i.e., will show). Click to uncheck.
- Timestamp: The default is checked (i.e., will show). Click to uncheck.
- Author: The default is checked (i.e., will show). Click to uncheck.
- Image: The default is checked (i.e., will show). Click to uncheck.
- Description Snippet: The default is selected (i.e., will show). Click to deselect. The default maximum length for the Description Snippet is 120 characters. You can customize the length by typing a number for the character limit you want in the Length of Description Snippet field.
- Full Description: The default is deselected (i.e., will NOT show). Click to select (i.e., show).
- There are four layout template styles to choose from - three versions of text and image and one for image only. Regardless of the layout you select, images will only appear if the RSS feed specified includes images and if Image is checked in Step 4 above (it’s checked by default).
- To use a custom layout, click to check Custom Layout URL, then type or paste the URL for the custom layout in the field provided.
How does Play Until Done work in the RSS Widget?
When the Play Until Done duration is selected for the RSS Widget, the Widget will display all of it's RSS stories, then move onto the next item in the content playlist.