Each Team tracks their respective Velocity and Happiness using a Google Spreadsheet that follows the same format as the Team Velocity Template.
We use Velocity to measure if; 1) we are increasing the amount of our time on Planned Points and, 2) are we increasing our work efficiency. Team Velocity is determined with Velocity Formula.
(6 Wk Avg Planned Points/Sprint/FTE - Avg Previous 6 Wk Planned Points/Sprint/FTE )
Avg of Previous 6 Wk Planned Points per Sprint per FTE
Each Team Member will review their happiness at their weekly Retrospection by answering the following:
- On a scale of 1 to 5, how happy are you with your role in the Company?
- On a scale of 1 to 5, how happy are you with the Company as a whole?
- Why do you feel that way?
- What one thing would make you happier in the next Sprint?
The goal is to continuously increase the Team Happiness to maximize the Team’s productivity which can only occur if; 1) each member is happy with their role and what they are working on and, 2) each member is happy with the Company as a whole.
If for any reason a Team Member is not happy with their role or with the Company, it is important to understand why in order to identify the actions necessary that will result in them being happy. Happiness is determined with Happiness Formula.
( Happiness Points per FTE - Happiness Points per FTE 6 Wk Avg )
Happiness Points per FTE 6 Wk Avg
Company Velocity and Happiness
The person(s) accountable for their respective Teams Velocity and Happiness updates the Rise Vision Scorecard to include their Teams Velocity and Happiness for the week.
Company Velocity and Happiness will then be calculated as the average of each across all Teams.
Using the Team Velocity Template
- Each card you move to Done is labeled as either Planned or Unplanned
- Each Sprint has a unique “Done” column for the cards completed in the Sprint.
- Each card has a points estimate using the Scrum for Trello Chrome extension.
What is Planned and Unplanned:
- Planned: The points that were defined when we started the epic
- Unplanned: Anything else - cards added because they were missed, issues, etc.
- Make a copy of the Team Velocity Template for your Team.
- Export your Trello board as a csv. Menu > More > Print and Export > Export as CSV
- Import the csv into the Sheet “Import”
- From the Sheet “Velocity”, update columns A-F accordingly.
- Trello List ID (Column A) can be found by searching by the name you gave the List in Trello. Note: it is recommended to name your List as, “Done dD-MMM-YYYY” where the date is the date your Sprint ends.
- You should not need to modify columns beyond Column F. They will automatically calculate according to what the values provided in Columns A-F and the csv import from Step 2.
- Note: 6 weeks of data is required before Velocity will be published.