Most calendars, like Outlook or Event Management System calendars, can be connected to Rise Vision through Google Calendars by subscribing to an iCalendar feed. The feed will update about every 24 hours.
Before following this article, you need a Google account. If you don’t already have one, you can create one for free at google.com.
Step 1: Obtain the iCalendar feed for your calendar
You first need to find the location of the ICS link that updates with your calendar.
For Outlook, you will need to log into your email account from a web browser. For free Outlook accounts this is done at outlook.live.com, but most schools or organizations have their own login portal. If you’re not sure, ask your IT team how to log into webmail.
Once you’re logged in:
- Click on the calendar icon on the left.
- In the menu above the calendar, click on “View” and then “Calendar settings”.
- Click on “Shared calendars”.
- Under “Publish a calendar”, click on the “Select a calendar” drop-down and choose the calendar you’d like to share.
- Click on the “Select permissions” drop-down and choose “Can view all details”.
Some organizations restrict this to “View Free/Busy”; if you can’t find the option to view details, ask your IT team to help you set the permissions.
- Click “Publish”.
- Click on the ICS link, and then on “Copy link” to copy it to your clipboard.
For other types of calendars, there will likely be similar steps to obtain the ICS link. Reach out to your EMS or calendar service provider if you’re not sure how to obtain it.
Step 2: Subscribe to your iCalendar feed with a Google Calendar
Go to calendar.google.com. Once you’re logged in:
- In the list of options on the left, find “Other calendars” and click on the + symbol.
- Choose “From URL” from the context menu.
- In the URL field, paste the ICS link you copied from your calendar in the previous step.
- Check the box that says “Make calendar publicly accessible”.
- Click “Add Calendar” to save your changes.
- Click on the back arrow to return to your calendars.
- In the list of options on the left, under “Other calendars”, find the calendar you just added. By default, it’s usually named either after the ICS link or just “Calendar”.
- Hover the mouse over your calendar and click on the menu button, and then “Settings”.
- Rename your calendar to something you’ll recognize later.
Step 3: Add your Google Calendar to Rise Vision
At risevision.com, create a presentation from one of our calendar templates. For example, the Weekly Google Calendar template is a great one to start with.
In the template settings on the left, choose “Google Calendar”. Log into your Google account.
In the drop-down list, choose the calendar you added in the previous step. Events from the ICS link will now appear in the template.
Once you’re done customizing the template, click on “Publish” to schedule your new calendar presentation to your display!